During my time at Formstack, I would occasionally prepare UX reviews of certain aspects of the app. My first was a heuristic review of major functionality of the web app. These reports acted as both conversation starting points for the rest of the team and, ultimately, a roadmap for future UX and design improvements in the app.
I based my review on "Eight Golden Rules of Interface Design" as proposed by Ben Shneiderman in the book Designing the User Interface. Those rules are:
- Strive for consistency.
- Enable frequent users to use shortcuts.
- Offer informative feedback.
- Design dialog to yield closure.
- Offer simple error handling.
- Permit easy reversal of actions.
- Support internal locus of control.
- Reduce short-term memory load.
- Personality / Be Human. (I added this one as I felt it is an important part of any human interface system)
As soon as I obtain permission from Formstack to share this report, it will be posted here.